Friday, March 24, 2006

A quite place in a loud city...




I have been to a church service once, it was never something I especially wanted to do. In Chile, Catholicism is one of the central institutions, so there are plenty of churches throughout the city. Though going to a service has never really crossed my mind, I do like to go into the churches sometimes. I was in the center of town, where there isn't an inch of space, noise echoes through the narrow streets and pedestrian walkways, the sun is hot, and there is no escape. Except for inside a cathedral in the central square.

There is something to be said for the space inside. The noises of the city all seem to melt together and form a ever present mixed hum that sounds very far away. Over that hum is a pleasant silence obeyed by all inside. Some people have come to pray, others such as myself arrive for a bit of silence, and in a city of five million people, silence is a sacred presence.



No comments: