Friday, July 25, 2008

World Press Photo

I went about a week ago (maybe it was a bit longer than that) to the World Press Photo. This is the third year I've seen it. In Santiago it usually passes through the Centro Cultral de Las Condes. The place gets some good shows but this is one of my favorites. The photos are very good, very serious and can be a bit overwhelming. They go to show you how watered down our newspaper images are, and how powerful photography is as a story telling medium. This year my favorite was a series of photos taken in the moments before and after a suicide bomber attacked Benazir Bhutto. There is one of her adjusting her veil in the last seconds of her life that is simple but very very powerful. In any case if you aren't familiar with the World Press Photo and you like photography or the news its worth checking out.

1 comment:

Mamacita Chilena said...

I also was quite moved by the photo of Benazir.

But, that being said, the images on a whole felt nowhere near as powerful as the ones from last year. I was really underwhelmed by this year's selection. Which is funny, because last year's selection of photos was so amazing they had me gasping for air.