Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Uyuni

So I left La Paz at around 10:30 am, got on a bus for Oruro, a three hour ride that took me to the train station. I had bought a train ticket in advance because I didn't want to have to endure the long, very bumpy ride to Uyuni in a packed bus. I arrived at the train station and found out that everything was shut down, that because of the rain, there wouldn't be another one for about a week.

So I got on a bus.

It was jam packed full of people, some sitting in the aisle on backs next to me, no bathroom for 10 hours. Plus the bus didn't leave until 8pm, and I arrived around 1:30 pm. So I had some time to kill in which I wandered about some of the streets by the bus station in Oruro. Oruro isn't much to see, I ate at a restaurant and met some Brazilians who were in the same situation. Finally after killing a lot of time, the bus left. It was one rocky, bumpy, unsettling ride that lasted until 6 am. Finally I arrived in Uyuni, and was swarmed by people working for different tour companies. I did what I could to get out of there, found a hostel, and dropped off into a deep sleep.

After I found a tour that will take me back to San Pedro de Atacama, thereby skipping the rest of Bolivia, and Argentina. It would be quite the ride, and I think I will be ready to sit on the beach for a while before returning to Santiago...

No comments: