Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Waking up early at the mine


I don´t have much of a sleep pattern anymore since starting this job. I get up fairly early on Monday, obscenely early on Tuesday, and fairly early on Wednesday, then, my wake up time gets later and later as I move towards the weekend.

It is also a bit of a shock to go from the mine back to Santiago and vice versa. When I arrive in Santiago on Thursday morning around 3 am, it is a much different place from what I wake up to the next day. The hustle and bustle of the city is almost overwhelming. In the mine, I recognize many faces, people say hello to each other and aren´t afraid to make eye contact. All of that is out the window in Santiago. You avoid eye contact, keep to your friends, and pay attention. The smog blurs the view of the mountains, and the weather is different as well, more clouds, less sun, but warmer.

I feel like I have a double life or something. My focus and thoughts change depending where I am. The mine gives me more time for reflextion, to plot my next move, time to overanalyze everything, whereas in Santiago that sensation gets overwhelmed by the different options in front of me.

So tonight I go back to the mad world of the micro, where I have my space, and leave the cold, isolated, tight nit, and sometimes boring world of the mine until next week...

No comments: