Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A white winter has finally fallen...

Snow is here, or at least up where I'm staying at the mine. I was riding in an elevator last night on my way to my last class of the evening and I saw a street light. In the light you could see the snow pass by, it reminded me of cold Iowa winters spent trapped indoors. At lower altitudes it is only raining, but up here at around 2,800 meters there is a blanket of snow covering everything. It looks so smooth, so perfect, a soft layer of white that pleases the eye but freezes the hand.

Makes me think of all those winters sledding at Longfellow elementary in Iowa City. It was such a big hill, and I was so small. There would always be these pile ups of kids crashing into each other. I remember one really bad one, it seemed like there were fifteen kids all lying in a heap covered by snow and plastic sleds bought at Hy-Vee.

Snow is something that I do enjoy to see every now and then, but to be honest, once a year is probably enough, I look forward to spring which will be on its way in about a month. Bring on the good weather...

No comments: