Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Almost thought...

So last night this whole building (at the mine) rocked back and forth for a minute, I honestly thought it was an earthquake but it turned out to just be a bunch of explosions meant to open up some new areas of the mine.

I have talked about it before, but I will talk about it again, the scale of this place really blow my mind away. The company here is supposed to make something like $1 bn this year, and it is a smaller mine. In total, the copper mining makes around $ 12 bn yearly in profit. The electricty bill here is something like $1 million a month. There are trucks that could smash even the biggest of the SUVs without the driver really feeling anything.

What will happen when all of these sites start to run dry? There are those people who talk about resource wars, and I think we are already in the midst of one over oil. What about the rest of the natural resources that drive our world? Copper, iron, even water, I have the sensation that I will get to see alot of these problems unfold over the course of my life...it is all a bit unsettling.

No comments: