Tuesday, March 15, 2005

cerveza



I wanted to dedicate a little bit of time to the beer that I drink the most, Escudo. When deceiding on a good beer, one has to consider many different factors.

1. How much is it? The price can't break my bank account, Escudo is relatively cheap, averaging around 650 chilean pesos for one liter.
2. How easy is it to get a hold of? Escudo is sold everywhere, usually cold, one only needs an empty bottle to exchange for a full one..(or you pay 200 pesos extra, Chile's version of a bottle deposit)
3. Does it taste good? Escudo is much better then some of the other Chilean beers such as Cristal, Baltica, Austral, while it can't even begin to compete with Kuntsmann, it is suffcient on a hot day.

One can find draft Escudo, but usually I have a beer at the house, where it is far cheaper and I can choose the music.


Now, sometimes I want something a little better quality. When this feeling hits, I turn to Kuntsmann.




Kuntsmann is brewed in Valdivia, which is in the south of Chile. It is an indicator of the influence of German culture here in Chile, good bear (guten bier?). It is a little more expensive, but reminds me of some of the microbrews availible in the US, (which I am always missing...)

No comments: