Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Altitude can make the dreams wild...

So much has happened in my life since my last post. For starters I found a much better job teaching at the Los Pelambres copper mine some 400 Km north of Santiago. I'm working with a different language institute as well. The contract is through McLean Consulting, a much smaller company then Linguatec or Tronwell. It is nice to once again work at a business where I work directly with the owner. I still don´t know who owns Tronwell, the legend is that Willie Tronwell owns it, but I don´t believe it.

For this gig I ride a bus around five hours to Salamanca, where I spend the night. The next morning I get up around five am, catch a bus to the base of the mountain that houses the mine. The ride takes around an hour or so. We go through security, I eat there at the base, then head up the hotel mina where I write this entry. All the facilities are very nice, remind me slightly of the army, but are all much nicer. There is a very tight sense of community among the miners here. Most are away from their families for most of the week and often feel like visitors in their own homes.

I teacTuesdayay, sleep at the hotel, where I havsatellitete TV, and good food. In the morning I get up and teach all of my five one and a half hour classes once again, catch a ride down the mountain and then catch a bus to Santiago. Finally at around 3:00 am I make it home and can sleep in the next day (que rico!) It is nice to be on a bit of adventure during to week, not to mention the fact that it pays much better then Tronwell.

Anyways, it is about time for lunch,

hasta luego....

No comments: