Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Chileans eat watermelon with a spoon....


There are many cultural differences between Chileans and (North) Americans, the most obvious, and biggest, would probably be the language. For the most part, the differences are not huge, people go to work with ties on, the get together for a beer afterwards, many life goals are the same.

The differences that exist are mainly in details, happy hour starts around 8 or 9 pm, breakfast isn't nearly as important as in the US, dinners are served late, so on and so on.

But then there are those differences that make my jaw drop. Last weekend I was with Carolina's family, we ate a bunch of food, the main dish being humitas, which consists of a boiled corn leaf filled with corn mush, they added sugar, I added spicy Piebre, which resembles what in the US we call salsa. Then it came, the watermelon. I was all ready to dig my face into the juicy mess and spit seeds at anyone within range, as always. However when my portion arrived, IT CAME WITH A SPOON! The shock hit me like a truck. I watched as people carved away with their spoons (though all not quite as creatively as in the photo), and was resigned to spitting the seeds only at my plate in a way as not to attract much attention. I thought that the shock of hot dog lasagna would top the culinary cultural differences, but watermelon with a spoon might have topped that one....

1 comment:

Frankenstein Valentine said...

I always eat my watermelon with a spoon.