Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Torres del Paine....




I first heard about this place through my grandfather, who gave it his highest level of approval and appreciation by calling it "mind boggling." It was that story that gave Chile a new place on my map. The more I learned about Chile, the more I wanted to go, and at the heart of that urge was a plan to go to the south of Chile, to the far tip of the continent and walk all around the park on the Paine Circuit, a 8-12 day hike that takes you all around the granite, glacier formed mass that gives the park its name.

When I arrived to Chile, plans changed, and I found myself heading north for my first trip, something which I don't regret, but at the time I didn't know if I would complete that goal that I had set out for myself months back from the flatlands of Iowa.

So when I finished the trek just a couple weeks ago, it meant that a major goal had been completed, and with good company as well! (doing a long hike with one good friend, or a complete stranger is one thing, trying to keep manage it with a girlfriend adds a whole other set of issues and complications, as well as joys and advantages..)

I have a fair amount of photos, so I think I'm going to be filling the blog with them over the next couple weeks, Santiago will still be here so no need to talk about it for a while....

No comments: