Tuesday, February 28, 2006

First longer trek...


For me it was my first longer trek, I had done a couple four day adventures, Carolina had done one, but we were planning for ten days, something that was yet unexplored.

I didn't know a lot about what to bring as food, and where to get it cheaply once we arrived in Punta Arenas, a friend of ours suggested that we go to the Zona Franca, which is a tax free zone where everything is remarkably cheap. It was good for the prices, but the selection and variety was lacking. We ended up with a lot of canned meat, spam type stuff, and of course tuna, pasta, instant rice. It was all really heavy, my bag weighed a ton, but food prices within the park are ridiculously expensive.

As far as gear went, we had most of the bigger items, we ended up buying trekking poles, which were a blessing in some parts of the hike, and some smaller items like a first aid kit, a new head lamp, a compass, but now I feel that my gear for hiking is almost complete, though I always seem to be missing something....

No comments: