Friday, December 17, 2004

Christmas is around the corner and I'm sweating...

It is a strange feeling indeed to be so hot around Christmas, though I can't say I'm against it. One thing for sure, it beats a cold Iowa winter. So next week I will turn in a slip to my boss Catherine that says I will be taking off for some vacation time. In one way I'm glad to get a chance to travel, but on the other hand I've really got into teaching my classes and I'm finally at a point with my students where I'm beginning to understand what works for them and what doesn't. No problem though, I'll just have to start over when I return to Santiago in March.

One thing that makes this city great is that even though it is a crazy city of 5 million people, it is still possible to ride a bike around without too many problems. Sure you still have to watch out but that is true anywhere, not only Santiago. There is a healthy selection of parks and walkways making it possible to cover a large portion of the city on walkways. Most of the traffic also flows on several main arteries leaving many side streets quite while only a few blocks away the mad chaos of the micros and the street ensues. Only about 10 minutes from house is the cerro San Cristobal, a mini mountain (a dirt mound compared to the Andes) that offers a spectacular view of the city, a good uphill climb, fast downhills, and plenty of off road trails leading to strange barrios full of interesting smells.

Biking seems to be pretty popular among Chileans, even if that means just meandering slowly through the parque forrestal. Many people have bikes here, though not all those people seem to use them. (i.e. America, my roommate). Most of the serious riders own Bianchi bikes, though I have seen a few Treks, the mainstream brand appears to be Oxford, which is what I´m riding for now. Come March I'm definitely going to have to find a used bike. The one I am using now needs a little work, one of the gears in the front doesn't work, and it is a women's bike as well, which I don't like because the balance is different with the angled bar on the frame.

So until March I'll just have to get by sweating the days away, traveling, and riding a women's bike.

No comments: