Monday, December 20, 2004

Lots of people moving all about...

Alot of the teachers here are going back to the States for the holidays, I have to admit that I'm a little jealous. It would be really nice to sit down with some friends and have some good conversation over a beer or two. If I could just have five days to chill out I think life would be peachy, but I don't so that is that. The ticket is so expensive, the 1200 I would spend would be put to better use if I traveled in Chile.

Traveling abroad can breed a kind of loneliness that I have never experienced. It is so different from when your at home and are just bored with your current social situation or work situation or what have you. No, when your sitting in some plaza, thousands of miles from home and there isn't a person around you who can trully understand how you feel, thats when you really think about what your doing, who you are, all that jazz, it is depressing sometimes. Other times it is the most entralling feeling ever, and the way you feel can change moment to moment. Sometimes its just one person saying something to you that snaps you out of the funk, or that sends you plummeting. Its always a rollarcoaster. Today I was hit with a wave of nostalgia as I prepared to teach a class in the class room where we had the TEFL course, I really missed the feeling of just arriving, of everything being brand new, intensly overwhelming. I missed the intensity of the course which would eat away our whole day. Then, it was over and I was glad that in two hours I could leave the class room and that I have time now to do other things. So it goes, so it goes....

No comments: