Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Accents

One of the things that I've noticed is how unaware I am of accents when I'm speaking Spanish. I'll be speaking to someone from say Chile or Germany or Japan, and then they say a word in English and it always surprises me to hear the accent. German accents really throw me off, even in Espanol, Zie instead of Sie, and much much more. I wonder how I sound to a Chilean. Yesterday I was speaking to some ninos that live in my apartment building and they seemed a little confused by my accent, I was saying Spanish words but they weren't so convinced. I saw them a little later and they planned an ambush, and jumped out at me grabbing my arms, but they were no match for my skills. Afterwards we talked about ninjas, and I think they were able to understand me, but understanding can never be assumed when you talk about the ninja way (hii yaa) they are good kids, lots of spirit, big hearts.

No comments: