Sunday, January 16, 2005

Rained out in the desert...

Some how I managed to get rained out in one of the most arid regions of the world. In a place where it might get rain 3 day out of the year, I happened to pick those three days to go. I had to cancel two plans for tours because of flooding, something I really wasn't expecting. San Pedro was an interesting place, a tourist trap to say the least, but not a glitzy one. Lots of adobe and wood structures, expensive restaurants with bond fires, foreigners from all over. There is an indigenous population that lives all around the tourist areas, a Chilean transient population that works there over the summer, and then the tourists. Yesterday I finished everything off with a tour to the salt plains, which were not white since they had seen their first rain in three years. Also saw some lagoons with snow capped volcanoes looming over them, and a couple of the pueblos that surround San Pedro. After all that, I got on an all night bus ride from 8:30 pm to 7:15 am and arrived in Arica more then a little confused.

No comments: