Sunday, January 09, 2005

Out to the Isla Damas

So I´m just a bit singed by the sun, it is so strong here. Even with cloud cover, the UV rays still penetrate, so much stronger then in the northern hemisphere because the ozone layer is much thinner here this time of year. We started early today, and surprisingly the guide was 8 minutes early, something that rarely happens in Chile. I loaded in a car with Germans, Finns, English, and Chileans. It was about a two hour drive to the port where the boat was launched. The landscape reminded me a lot of Nevada, only bigger mountains. Lots of cacti, all different kinds, lots of goat herders too. I was tempted to try and buy some goat cheese but never got the opportunity.

We got to the boat port and loaded up in a boat about 12 feet long and six feet wide. It bounced all about in the choppy Pacific water, and toured around the islands. The islands all were very bare, rugged rocks stuck out and were populated by vultures, sea lions, humbolt penguins (much smaller, like 30cm) gulls, and some kind of otter. Dolphins would breach the surface near the boat but always dropped down deeper when we approached. After a passage around the islands we stopped on one where it is permitted to camp and I hiked around, looking at all the sea shells and bright blooming cacti. I also took a quick (very quick, very cold) swim in the turquoise water at the white sandy beach that is on the island.

Afterwards, we went back to land and stopped along the way to eat some fish for lunch. There everyone swapped stories, relaxed and ate. On the way back I talked to a German girl named Isable about all things travel, she is on here way north, likes to have off the wall experiences that come with hitchhiking, as well as a deep appreciation for hiking about in the mountains.

I think that my time in La Serena is coming to a close. Hearing Isable's stories about hiking around nature reserves has put me in the mood for some camping. Tomorrow, sometime before 11am I will head north, though I don't know where.

No comments: