Monday, January 31, 2005

One hell of a walk...

Four days on the Inca trail, meandering over stones, steps, stairs, and ruins. The mountains of Peru are unlike anything I have ever seen any where else. They rise straight out of the ground and touch the sky. Steep is an understatement. I could see how the Incas could consider them gods. I went with a group of 15 people, made up of travelers from Argentina, Colorado, California, Italy, and Israel. We all got along great, no one was complaining much. It rained everyday, but only for a few hours at a time. On the fourth and final day, we rose from the sack at 4 am to get a wonderful view of a cloud at sunrise. The classic Machu Pichu view from the sun gate was completely veiled by the clouds. So we walked to the ruins, and as the day progressed the clouds lifted, slowly unveiling the complex and the awesome views around it. By the afternoon there was blue sky and some of us hiked up to the temple of the moon, it is probably one of the highest places I have ever been. There I found a panoramic view of the ruins and the mountain on which they sit. I have no idea how they made this place, it seems to be cut out of the mountain. From above it looks like a lego set, so perfect, so different from the feel within. It was a view I will never forget....

No comments: